We like spicy food in our house so this recipe is quite mild for our taste. The amount of spices in the recipe is just a guide though and you can make it as spicy or as mild as you like!
- 400g canned chickpeas
- 400g dried red lentils
- 500g passata
- 300ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- Black pepper to taste
- Rinse the lentils and put in a saucepan. Cover with water then bring to the boil. Leave to simmer until the lentils have softened.
- Put the cooked lentils, chickpeas, passata, herbs and spices in a food processor. Blitz until smooth.
(I put in half the chickpeas before blitzing and half after to keep a bit of texture. It’s personal preference if you want it completely smooth or with lumps.)
- Put the mixture in the slow cooker, add the stock and stir well.
- Cook in the slow cooker for 3 hours on high.
- Give the soup a good stir before serving.
If you are doing baby led weaning and your baby doesn’t use a spoon yet this is great served with toast as a dipper.
I served this for my 17 month old with a spoon and a chunk of bread, the same as Mummy and Daddy had!
It can also be served chunky with rice as a fantastic evening meal!