This recipe makes approximately 30 carrot and lentil hearts. They can be frozen so are perfect for making in big batches to have as a handy snack!
- 200g dried red lentils
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 slice of bread made into breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp coriander
- Black pepper to taste
- Soak the lentils in cold water for 3 hours prior to cooking.
- Gently fry the onions and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Rinse the soaked lentils well and put them in a food processor. Add the carrot, cheese, egg, onion and garlic then blitz.
- Once well mixed stir through the coriander, pepper and breadcrumbs by hand.
- Spray a baking tray with cooking spray and use a cookie cutter to shape small amounts of the mixture into hearts.. Or stars.. Or whatever shape your little one will like!
- Bake the hearts in the middle of a preheated oven at 180°c for 15-20 minutes. (Cooking time will depend on the size of your hearts.)
- Serve and enjoy!