Harry’s having one of those days today where he has asked for a treat none stop since he woke up. When Megan went down for a nap we decided to go and cook up a treat in the kitchen. Stocks were low, we were out of oats which are my usual base for healthy treats like this so I decided to give lentils a try. I’m so happy with how these carrot and apple lentil muffins turned out and Harry and Megan really enjoyed them too!
They were really easy to make and perfect to bake with my 3 year old. I decided to make some muffins and use a silicone mould to make some fun star shaped bites too.
This recipe made 12 muffins and 12 star bites.
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 large apple, finely grated
- 1 large carrot, finely grated
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tbsp honey (Maple syrup for under 1yrs)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp all spice
- Soak the lentils in water for 3 hours before cooking
- Preheat the oven to 180°c.
- Drain and rinse the lentils.
- Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and blitz until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin cases or silicone moulds.
- If making muffins bake for approximately 30 minutes, until cooked through. If using a mould to make shapes adjust cooking time accordingly. These stars took around 15 minutes.
- Allow to cook before removing from the cases or moulds.
- Serve and enjoy!
For more healthy snack recipes check out the links below!