We had this for dinner last night and it was a big hit! It has hidden veggies in and the kids devoured it! It was great as a meat free midweek meal for the whole family and we even had leftovers which is always a bonus!
I grated the veg for this meal but you could blend it into the chopped tomatoes (or passata if you prefer) to make the vegetables completely hidden!
Also, I have a family of onion haters so didn’t include any in this meal however I think it would be really tasty with red onion! Just cook alongside the other vegetables. You could also add carrots, spinach or any other vegetables that need using up!
I used penne pasta but you can use whatever you prefer! fusili, conchiglie, spaghetti… Anything goes!
I used a cast iron pot to cook in so I was able to transfer it straight from the hob to the oven. If you don’t have one you will need to transfer to an oven proof dish or casserole dish before you crumble the feta on top.
This recipe serves 4
- 250g Penne Pasta
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 courgette
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 150g mascarpone
- 50g feta cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pre heat the oven to 200°c
- Put the pasta in a pan of water to boil. Time will depend on which pasta you choose but you want to take it out when it is still slightly undercooked.
- While the pasta is boiling, peel and grate the sweet potato and grate the courgette.
- Cook the grated sweet potato, courgette and any other veggies you are adding in the oil until soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stock and garlic powder to the vegetables.
- Drain the pasta and and add to the vegetables. Stir well.
- Stir in the mascarpone.
- Crumble the feta on top and pop the pasta in the oven.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
If you like this recipe check out these family meal ideas: