This is one of our favourite ‘batch cooking’ meals. It is healthy, tasty and so easy to make. Never again will you need to buy meatballs from the shop! These are tastier and much cheaper. I would definitely recommend making your own meatballs if you don’t already!
For the meatballs:
- 500g beef mince
- 500g pork mince
- 1/2 an onion, finely grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 100g breadcrumbs
- A generous handful of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic paste
For the sauce:
- 500g passata
- 250ml beef stock
- 2 tsp Worcester sauce
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp coriander
- black pepper to taste
- Grated cheese
- Vegetables of your choice! We used baby corn and sugar snap peas because we had some that needed using up!
- Put all of the meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands. (Messy I know! You could use a food processor if you like but we like the texture we get from hand mixing.)
- Shape the mixture into balls – as big or small as you like! We make them about an inch wide.
- This mixture makes a lot of meatballs. We portioned ours so we had four bags for the freezer too. (Each bag had enough meatballs in to make a meal for the three of us.) This saves so much time in the week when we are working and want a quick, healthy, home cooked meal.
- In a pan, lightly fry the meatballs in some cooking spray. (Just enough to seal them round the edges so they hold their shape.)
- To the same pan, add the sauce ingredients.
- Mix well and transfer to a casserole dish with the lid on.
- Place the meatballs and sauce into a preheated oven at 180 degrees.
- After half an hour turn the oven down to 120 and leave to cook for a further hour.
- 10 minutes before serving, cook your spaghetti and side vegetables. We also like to grate some cheddar cheese to go on the top!