My kids love fish fingers and chips so I decided to make a healthier version myself. We walked to the shop but they didn’t have any white fish so I got salmon instead. I ended up making these salmon nuggets and served them with home made chips. They were a big hit with the kids and so much healthier than pre made options. They can be frozen which makes them perfect to make in advance and save for those ‘just can’t be bothered cooking’ days!
This made enough to feed 2 hungry children and have one portion of nuggets for the freezer.
- 2 salmon fillets
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 5 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 potato
- 1/2 tbsp sunflower oil
- Lemon wedges
- mushy peas
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Wash the potato and cut into chip shapes. You can peel them first but I tend to keep the skins on.
- Par boil the chips for 8 minutes.
- Drain the chips, coat in the sunflower oil and lay on a baking tray, then put them in the oven.
- When the chips are in the oven cut the salmon into nugget shapes.
- Mix the parsley and pepper into the breadcrumbs.
- Beat the egg.
- Coat each salmon nugget lightly in flour, egg and then breadcrumbs.
- After the chips have been in the oven for 20 minutes add the salmon nuggets to the baking tray, turn the chips and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve with mushy peas or garden peas and a wedge of lemon.
If you make any of my recipes please tag me on social media and let me know! I love seeing your little ones enjoying my recipes!