- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 vegetable stock cube (low salt if possible)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 pepper, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp passata
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed (or 1 tsp garlic paste)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- In a pan, bring the water to the boil. Crumble in the stock cube and reduce to a simmer.
- In a frying pan, add the butter, garlic, carrot, pepper and tomato. Cook for around 5 minutes.
- Add the passata and the risotto rice. Stir until the rice is coated with the mixture.
- A cup at a time, add the vegetable stock/water to the pan. Stirring constantly. Wait until each cup has been absorbed by the rice before you add the next.
- When the rice is cooked and the sauce is thick, take off the heat and add the cheese. Stir well.
- You can serve like this as risotto or allow to cool ready to make risotto balls.
- Once the risotto is cool enough to handle, shape into balls and coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Place the balls on a baking tray and bake in the oven at 180°c for 15 minutes until golden. I sprayed the tray with a little cooking spray first to avoid them sticking.