The new year is upon us and I’m ready to start a serious healthy kick for our whole family. I’m joining Slimming World next week and am keen to find foods that are on plan but also suitable for the whole family. One of my biggest challenges is eating less bread. I love bread! I wanted to find an alternative that would satisfy my need for carbs and potato cakes are what I came up with! Harry really enjoyed them and they filled us both up until dinner time!
- 3 large potatoes
- 1/4 onion (finely grated)
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
- 1 tbsp cream cheese (light if you are making them SW friendly, full fat for babies!)
- 1 egg
- Boil the potatoes until fully cooked. Drain and leave to steam in the colander for a couple of minutes.
- In the pan you cooked the potatoes in, add the onion and garlic, cook gently while the potatoes steam then return the potatoes to the pan.
- Add the cream cheese and egg then mash until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper (leave the salt out for babies.)
- Spoon tablespoonfuls of the mixture into a non stick frying pan, in a little fry light, on a medium heat.
- Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden in colour.
- Serve with whatever you fancy! We had ours with a fried egg, mushrooms, tomato and avocado. Harry really enjoyed it and so did I so I think this will become a regular breakfast or lunch for us!
This made a batch of 12 potato cakes. They can be frozen then defrosted in the microwave and crisped up again in the oven.
For anyone doing Slimming World the only syns in these are in the cream cheese which is 2 syns for 25g. (You use less than that for the whole batch.)