Harry loves cheese! Anything that has cheese in it he will demolish! This cauliflower and broccoli cheese bake is a great way to get vegetables into Harry when he is going through a fussy phase!
This recipe makes enough to serve this as a side dish for two hungry children. You can always serve half to your little one and save the rest in the fridge or freezer for another day!
- A large handful of cauliflower and broccoli (I use frozen to avoid waste)
- 250ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 25g butter
- 50g grated mature cheddar
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs (you can make these really quickly and easily by toasting bread in the toaster then blitzing it in the food processor)
- Black pepper taste
- Cook the broccoli and cauliflower in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes until soft.
- Drain the cauliflower and broccoli and leave to one side.
- In the same saucepan, put the milk, flour, butter and black pepper. Return to the heat and whisk constantly whilst the mixture simmers for about 2 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Once thick, remove from the heat and stir through most of the cheese until melted.
- Put the broccoli and cauliflower in a small ovenproof dish and pour the sauce over the top so the cauliflower and broccoli is completely covered.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese and the breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes at 180°c.
- Serve and enjoy! (It will need to cool for quite a while as it will be very hot when you first take it out of the oven!)