Sometimes you can’t beat the classics! Bubble and squeak is the perfect way to use up your leftovers and makes a really tasty lunch for your little foodies.
I’ve done mine two ways here, traditionally and coated in breadcrumbs. The kids enjoyed both so it’s entirely up to you how you do it!
These ingredients are what I used but you can use whatever roast dinner leftovers you have! I use frozen mashed potato when I don’t have leftovers to make this a really quick and easy recipe! The quantities are approximate, it’s all about making it to your tastes!
- 2 large potatoes, boiled and mashed
- A large handful of cabbage, cut into small strips
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 rasher of bacon cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp butter
- Black pepper to taste
- A drizzle of olive oil for cooking
If you want to coat them in breadcrumbs you will also need:
- plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a pan, gently fry the onions, garlic, bacon and cabbage in the butter until the cabbage is soft and the bacon is cooked.
- Mix the contents of the pan with the mashed potato and black pepper.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Once chilled, mould the mixture into burger shapes. If you are leaving them without breadcrumbs pop straight into a pan with a little olive oil and fry for 4 minutes each side, then transfer to the oven and cook at 180°c in the oven for 15 minutes to warm through.
- If you are coating in breadcrumbs dip each ‘burger’ in the flour so it is lightly covered, then the egg, then coat well with the breadcrumbs.
- Fry in a little oil until golden on each side then cook at 180°c in the oven for 15 minutes to warm through.
- Serve and enjoy! I served mine with some mushy peas and crispy bacon but you could pair them with whatever you like!