After lunch today I had some leftover mashed potato and broccoli. I decided to get creative and make my own version of an old classic, potato smilies! So here it is, a healthy take on one of my favourite childhood foods, broccoli smilies!
- 300g mashed potato (leftovers is perfect!)
- 200g broccoli
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 slices of bread made into breadcrumbs (Just toast then blitz in a food processor)
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- Black pepper to taste
- Cook the broccoli (Steam or boil).
- Put the broccoli, mashed potato, cheese and cornflour in a food processor and blitz until well combined.
- Put the mixture in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the mixture into small balls (about a dessertspoonful each) and flatten slightly to make circles approx 1cm thick.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the mixed herbs and black pepper.
- Coat the circles in the breadcrumb mixture on both sides, make sure you don’t miss the edges!
- Use a cocktail skewer to make a smiley face on each circle.
- Cook in the oven for 30mins at 180ºc, until golden.