Yesterday was one of those days where Harry decided he wanted a biscuit. He seems to think he’s the Highway Rat at the moment and is developing quite a sweet tooth. He will appear at the door of the kitchen and say, in his best baddie voice, “give me your buns and your biscuits, give me your chocolate and cake.” I decided to make him a little treat with some bits and bobs that we had in the cupboard and created these blueberry and carrot flapjacks.
They are refined sugar free and oh so yummy! They were really moreish which wasn’t good for me as they certainly aren’t Slimming World friendly but they were quick, easy and cheap to make so a definite win! I love recipes like this that just come together while pottering around the kitchen and adding a bit of this and a bit of that until it creates something delicious. I hope you like them too! Let me know what you think if you try them!
- 1 cup of butter
- 2 cups of oats
- 2 tbsp honey (maple syrup for children under 1yr)
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- A generous handful of frozen blueberries (You can use fresh but using frozen helped them hold their shape better whilst mixing, plus they work out much cheaper!)
- 1 finely grated carrot
- Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the honey and stir well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and mix until well combined. If the mixture is too runny at this stage add more oats.
- Grease a shallow cake tin with butter or even better, line with greaseproof paper!
- Press the mixture into the tin so it is tightly packed.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°c for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the tin and slicing.
- Serve and enjoy!
They were a hit!