With Valentine’s day round the corner I decided to make a little treat for Harry. I adapted my carrot and lentil hearts recipe to give it a bit of a Valentine twist and these beetroot lentil hearts were the result. I love how the beetroot makes them a pretty pink colour and they tasted great too!
- 100g split red lentils
- 100g cheddar cheese
- 25g breadcrumbs
- 1 fresh beetroot, grated
- Soak the lentils for 3 hours in a bowl of water. Drain and rinse.
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor and mix until well combined.
- Put the mixture for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Use a heart cookie cutter to create heart shapes with the mixture on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. You can make these in whatever shape you like but I chose hearts for Valentine’s day!
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 180°c for 20 minutes, until cooked through and crispy on the outside.
- Serve and enjoy!
To add a fun little twist I served these hearts as petals on a flower. I used cucumber and spinach to make the stem and the leaves.